Monday, August 15, 2011

Missing Mexican Food!

It’s been eight months now since I moved to New York and the thing I was afraid of is happening – I’m missing Mexican food like crazy. Other than missing family and friends whenever I travel or move to a new place, I miss the food the most.
So San Diego is known for delicious Mexican food because of its proximity to Mexico. Lots of dishes are what you would consider Mexican-American or Tex-Mex but I don’t care, I love it. I didn’t realize how much I had grown accustomed to this type of cuisine until I moved to NY and couldn't find any good Mexican food here. I haven’t tried every single place in the city but the ones I have been to have not lived up to my expectations. Guess the closest thing I can get is Cuban food, which is somewhat similar but not really.

So occasionally I get a ridiculous craving for carne asada fries or a satisfying bean and cheese burrito. Damn, maybe I shouldn’t be writing about this as my mouth is starting to water…. I’ll just give you a run-down of the things I’ve come to love and the things that have sustained me through high school, college and grad school. Ditching class in high school for a carne asada burrito was always worth it to me and when one of my teachers allowed us to order food to be delivered to our class, I was in heaven. Every Thursday I’d devour a shrimp quesadilla during Chemistry. In college I survived off Taco Bell and their incredibly cheap bean burritos and soft tacos. Not the most authentic Mexican food but on a college budget, it hit the spot. Those two items traveled with me through grad school but with a bit more money in my pocket (not sure how that happened), I also indulged in shrimp burritos from Rubios as well as their carnitas street tacos. That’s more legit I guess. And finally my husband introduced me to the best place ever in South San Diego, a place called Super Sergios which is a typical taco shop that provided many carne asada fries on our late nights coming home from parties. Anyways, here are my faves and rules for eating them.

Bean & Cheese Burrito - best eaten with hot sauce although I'm chicken and only eat "mild" (Taco Bell Mild Hot Sauce is the best)



Carne Asada Burrito - perfect as is if done right; should be juicy and flavorful and no hot sauce needed




Carne Asada Fries - fries covered with beef strips, guacamole, cheese, sour cream and drizzled with hot sauce




Fajitas - sizzling skillet of your choice of meat (mine is shrimp) with bell peppers, onions and mushrooms



Shrimp Burrito - shrimp wrapped in a flour tortilla with rice, beans, sauce and pico de gallo - best served with guacamole and roasted chipotle salsa




Quesadillas - I like mine stuffed with shrimp but there are endless variations, just make sure they are crispy and eat with sour cream, guacamole and salsa




Street Tacos - best ones in my opinion are the pork ones, served with onion and cilantro; just top with salsa and ready to go


No comments:

Post a Comment