Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review – Schaller & Weber Deli

A couple of weekends ago I had the chance to go to a German deli/grocery store called Schaller & Weber, located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. It’s a small place dedicated to all things German and has been featured numerous times on TV and in newspapers or magazines. I was there on the weekend so the store was packed. Of course, it also seems that way because it’s relatively small and can only fit about 25 people at once. There is a deli on the right side of the store, offering cured and smoked meats and cheeses, and on the left side, you’ll find refrigerated imported goods. In the middle are the candies and cookies.
That day, I walked in with every intention on loading up on salamis and cheeses, and I walked out with a filled bag full of cookies instead. I am still eating my way through the batch and will probably do so for another six months.
I happened to find a few holiday items on sale which I was thrilled about since holiday gingerbread goodies from Germany are my favorite. Guess I’ll be enjoying the holidays for a few more months.
Customers can order the meats online and the store ships nationwide I believe. I’ll have to go back and actually get what I came for the first time.
For now, I’m sharing my take-aways. If you are in the area, check out the store and try these.


Layers of biscuit, gelee, marshmallow, chocolate



Wafer covered in chocolate - similar to Kit Kat



Peanut flips or chips



Gingerbread filled with jam and covered in chocolate


Whole grain cookies


Wafers filled with apricot jam



Banana marshmallow covered in chocolate


2 comments:

  1. jaha, deutsche süßigkeiten sind die besten! duplo, wohooo! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaha, i agree. sie sind es wirklich. hab viele verschiedene hier probiert und bis jetzt, hab nichts besseres gefunden.

    ReplyDelete