Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spice Rack


I was motivated to clean out my pantry and pulled out spices I haven’t used in a while, not because I have grown tired of them, but because I have been traveling so much, it’s difficult to tell sometimes what time zone I’m in. So I pulled out the oldies but goodies and am planning on making Chicken Lo Mein tonight.
I believe in keeping a good stock of various spices to spice things up. Maybe I should be writing this after I’ve had a break from the computer. I can tell my writing skills are about to crash and burn….
There are people who are known for cooking one type of cuisine or for having a signature dish. And then there’s me. I can’t remember how often I have repeated a dish, to the disgruntlement of my husband. He grew up with favorites his mom has always made. I grew up cooking mostly for myself, ergo, I had a lot of learning to do. I still try new dishes most of the time and come to find out, you need different spices for different recipes. Thus I have a very well-stocked spice rack and hardly ever make a panicked dash to the store.
If you read this, open your pantry, and all you see is salt, pepper and the large container of onion powder you haven't used in at least six months (or longer - check the expiration date!), print out the list below and head to the store.



Cardamom - the seeds inside the green pod are removed and smashed to produce a powder - great for exotic desserts




Cinnamon - use the powder in desserts and stews (for a fuller feeling) and use the stick to stir your hot chocolate or coffee




Coriander - powder or seeds - used in lots of Indian and Mexican cooking for stews and meat rubs




Cloves - you can buy these ground as well; a staple ingredient in making mulled wine for Christmas but also good with holiday hams and desserts




Cumin - the seeds are ground; use either one for Mexican or Indian recipes; great for chili



Curry powder - mostly used in Indian cooking but also Asian and Caribbean recipes; careful as there are various degrees of hotness




Fennel seeds - mmm, ground to a powder it's great as a meat rub on pork




Culinary lavender - not the household one from your pillow; I use it to bake cakes for wonderful perfume but it's also used for ice cream




Paprika - there is sweet or hot paprika and it comes from Spain and Hungary - I use only the sweet and put it into pretty much any stew I ever make




Star Anise - excellent with hot rum during the holidays but also good to make soup or stock

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I love cooking with spices, and these pretty pictures are inspiring. I like to coat salmon filets with mayo, then sprinkle fennel seed (and dried tarragon) thickly on top before putting it under the broiler for about 12 minutes. yum!

    And don't laugh...but I put a tiny shake of cardamom in grits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas, I'll have to try both. Thanks for the suggestions!
    There is a recipe by Nigella Lawson for Mughlai chicken with rice and both the chicken and rice recipes use cardamom and cloves. I've made it a few times and it's one of my favorite Indian recipes. Plus I like finding recipes that use these unusual spices, since I don't usually know of many ways to use them. Here's a link to her recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/mughlai-chicken-recipe/index.html.

    ReplyDelete