Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Baking Desserts

I know it’s been a while since I’ve written but that doesn’t mean I stopped cooking, or eating for that matter. It’s been a busy life, let’s just say that.
The pictures I am sharing today are of desserts I baked in a mad afternoon, meaning a frenzied afternoon when I had the brilliant idea to test recipes; not one but four or five. I have so many cookbooks at home, I feel it is a waste to just let them sit on the shelf collecting dust, so I actually pulled out a bunch, leafed through them and found recipes that sounded promising. I made cookies, cakes and a pie. Probably the first pie I ever baked, come to think of it. Unfortunately it also tasted like the first pie I ever baked, so yes, it was not quite a success. Looked good though, despite the over-doneness.
The cookies were filled with dried cranberries, white chocolate and pecans, courtesy of a Nigella Lawson recipe. They were a big hit and I made them again after that, after much demand. The peach cake was humungous and tasted as if a cheesecake married a tub of custard, all to my delight, but apparently too exotic for the friends I called to taste-test. The almond syrup cake was yet another recipe by Nigella and was a big hit. It’s rare that I make something of hers and it’s not a big hit. I also like that her recipes are simple and easy to follow.
After I had a few more days of mad-woman baking, my husband figured it would be a good idea to give me a KitchenAid mixer for my birthday (I was so invested in my baking after all), and he was right. Probably one of the best presents I ever received and I put that sucker to good use for a good couple of weeks, then I gave birth to our first baby and baking has given way to lots and lots of diaper changes. Ah, the things I’ve traded lately….
 
 
The popular cookies
 
 
I could have survived all week just eating this peach cake
 
 
The driest pecan pie I could manage
 
 
Aladdin surely ate this almond cake soaked in rose/orange water syrup
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment