Monday, September 30, 2013

Acorn Squash Soup

My co-worker grows vegetables in her garden and was gracious enough to share some of her bounty with me. I have enjoyed delicious tomatoes as well as acorn squash.
The acorn squash (I had 2) was hard to cut through, I actually had to ask my husband for assistance since I’m such a weakling, but the chunks were roasted in the oven for about an hour and a half at 375 degrees until very tender. The smell that fills the house is amazing.
Once done, I let the pieces cool, removed the skin and put them in a soup pot with about 2 cups of chicken stock. The mixture simmered for about 10 minutes after which I poured everything in the food processor and blended it until smooth. I poured everything back in the pot to warm, added salt and before serving, topped it with crispy pancetta. You can always top it with bacon or omit it altogether, although the saltiness paired with the sweetness of the thick soup works well.


2 comments:

  1. Yum! I tried a variation of this using butternut squash, a can of lite coconut milk and a cup or so of chicken broth, a few shakes of cumin, and garnished it with cilantro and pieces of very toasty rice bread. Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious. Never tried it with coconut milk. I'll have to test this out. Thanks Cindy!

    ReplyDelete