Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Flammkuchen - Flatbread Pizza

A grocery store called Trader Joe’s carries this flatbread pizza that originates from Strasbourg, France. It is a very thin layer of dough, topped with caramelized onions, ham and cheese and it is delicious. It is very convenient to pick it up at the store and in 10 minutes of baking, you have a great snack to get you through a movie at home, and I do mean a snack, because it’s too thin to end up as dinner.
I was fortunate to visit a friend a few years ago who lives in Strasbourg and she took us out to dinner for just that thing, called Flammkuchen there. It is actually more of a German term since Strasbourg lies on the border of France and Germany. Anyways, that is their absolute staple thing to show off in that city and the Flammkuchen that came were served straight on the table, rustic style, and cut into huge sections. We all dove in with her entire family who accompanied us. It was delicious.
I have seen a chef on TV make Flammkuchen and it looked super easy. I am tempted to try it even though I have never made my own pizza dough before. Something about making dough scares the hell out of me. If you want the recipe, it is by Laura Calder, which I’m sure you can google or look up on the Cooking Channel website. If I end up making it, I’ll let you know how it goes, but until then, here’s what it’s supposed to look like.


 


 
 
The Trader Joe's kind 


No comments:

Post a Comment