Friday, April 22, 2011

Presentation

Presenting food in a pleasurable way is very important to me as already mentioned a few blogs ago with the store displays. As much as I like to have a store or market display their produce in an inviting way, just as much do I like my meal to look inviting. I am not a professionally trained chef, thus my meals are not always camera-ready. Nevertheless, if I have a bit of extra time, I try to put a bit more effort into my presentation than just plopping a scoop of mashed potatoes onto the plate. I watch a lot of cooking shows and try to remember how they present their food but by the time I get ready to put dinner on the table, I’ve forgotten the fancy tricks I see on TV. I just try to remember some simple factors. If the table looks nice, it automatically elevates the food to another level. My plate won’t look nearly as nice if it’s placed next to a stack of mail or text books. If however I have a tablecloth spread out, silverware placed, glasses for drinks and who knows, maybe even a flower or candle in the middle of the table, well then I feel much better already.
On the actual plate, I not only pay attention to décor but to portion control and nutritional balance. I won’t take up the whole plate with a gigantic steak served alongside two small potatoes and three lettuce leaves. That would not be a very nutritious dinner on a regular basis. Occasionally however that just hits the spot. So in general, the meat is limited to the size of my hand (excluding fingers) followed by a whole bunch of veggies or a huge serving of salad. If I’m serving salad for lunch, I mound the whole thing on top of a large plate and cut some chicken into strips to place on top of salad. That usually makes for a simple yet pretty presentation. I know restaurants go the same route.
For soups, I try to place a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream on top and garnish with chives or other greenery.
Contrasting colors are also nice. Serve stewed fruit or a berry salad with whip cream and who can resist that?
Anyways, I’m not an expert when it comes to making something look pretty. My family knows that all too well. Here are some examples however of desserts I’ve enjoyed that looked pretty enough to eat.



Strudel served at a cafe in Vienna



Sweet dumplings served at Romanian restaurant 



Ice cream, whip cream, mandarin oranges and chocolate waffles served by my aunt 


No comments:

Post a Comment