Friday, April 1, 2011

Review – Mono+Mono

This place was literally one block away from our one-month sublet we stayed in when we first got here but we just made it there now that we are in Brooklyn. A friend recommended it so we tagged along late one evening.
The restaurant is super cool with an entire huge wall lined with records and even has a revolving record conveyer belt. Not sure how else to describe that. Low lighting with somewhat jazzy music make a very comfy hang-out for friends.
We sat down and ordered family style, meaning we shared everything but I guess that’s not a must. We ordered their famously twice fried chicken smothered in various sauces, a side order of fried rice, their fois gras meatball appetizer and fries. The fries were served first with an accompaniment of three dipping sauces. I thought it was weird that they brought out the fries by themselves instead of waiting for the chicken but I was starving so I dove in along with my friends. The meatballs came second and were tiny. There was one per person so that was a waste of money. 30-40 minutes later (I’m not kidding), the chicken was brought out. All of us were famished. We attacked the chicken and cleaned the plate within 5 minutes. We realized that the rice hadn’t been brought out so we alerted our waitress. And then we ordered another damn chicken plate. The rice came out halfway through the chicken waiting time. We divided the cup of rice between the four of us. Another rip-off. The second chicken batch came and we once again massacred it. At that point, I could have maybe eaten one or two more drumsticks but was content as is. The others seemed to fare the same way.
During the course of the evening, I noticed that one leg of my chair was broken. I started exchanging it with another chair and the waitress came to inquire about it. I told her the chair should be removed since it was hazardous to customers but instead of taking it off the floor, she just moved it to a corner of another table. Possible future lawsuit?...
The overall experience was ok at this joint. The chicken was really superb. It wasn’t coated in batter or anything else and the skin was absolutely perfectly crisp. The seasoning was also delicious and made for some of the best chicken to date. The sides were good but very small and too pricey. The atmosphere is nice but the wait time is ridiculous. Not sure I’d go back. Maybe, if I’m feeling particularly patient that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment