Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review – Cubana Café

Great café in Brooklyn that serves probably the most delicious Cuban food I’ve had so far. Went there twice and got to sample a few things.
The first time we went with friends for dessert however one of our friends was hungry so he ordered ceviche and then rice with ground beef. The ceviche was good although I think the sauce had a bit of mayo in it - wasn’t super crazy about that. The rice and meat were delicious and I’ll probably order that the next time I go back.
For dessert we had tres leches cake and flan. The flan is out of this world and I’m pretty sure not the healthiest thing since it was so creamy, there must have been at least two cans of condensed milk in there. Definitely worth it though.
The group also ordered white sangria which to me was not as sweet as I would have liked but the others liked it.
The second time I went with my husband for lunch. I ordered black bean soup and an appetizer of crispy mashed potatoes stuffed with ground beef. Sounds funky and looked a bit funky too. It was a baseball-size ball of mashed potatoes that was probably fried or baked to make it crispy and had the meat filling. It was actually delicious, just like shepherd’s pie. The appetizer was served on a salad of chickpeas that was garnished with tomatoes, red onions, parsley and corn. Yum.
My husband ordered the Cuban pork sandwich which had the tastiest marinated pork ever. I think I ate half of his sandwich too…
He also ordered a drink that apparently is the house specialty. Can’t remember everything that was in it but I think it involved rum and pineapple juice. Anyways, it came out in a martini glass and looked very girly. Guess many male customers were fooled by the house specialty on the menu since several guys were sipping those.
The customer service was great the second time around but the first time we were rushed to pay and leave since the café was closing. Guess people want to go home too at some point so I won’t hold it against them. I’ll be back.
Oh, two more things. The prices are cheap by NY standards however they only accept cash. There is an ATM machine inside the café if you only have plastic with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment