Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Eggplant

I could not come up with a more original title than that, sorry.
I grilled eggplant yesterday and made the Romanian version of baba ganoush, which is a dip from the Middle East. In Romania, we make the lazy version of it, and actually I like the taste of it better this way.
All I did was grill two large eggplants, although I usually bake them in the oven for about an hour (until they are soft) and let cool before you peel the skin off. Put the soft flesh in a sieve and let it drain since they contain a lot of liquid. Cut through the flesh with a knife, fork or whatever is around (it is soft enough that a butter knife will go through it) and mix it with a few squirts of mayonnaise, some salt and maybe some finely diced onion. I have made it with and without the onion and it's good either way.
It is excellent served on bread, like an open-faced sandwich, and most importantly, with tomatoes on top. The flavor combination of tomatoes and eggplant is excellent.

Here is the only picture I took before devouring most of the eggplant dip. And yes, I realize it looks like an art project.


No comments:

Post a Comment