Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Grilling Banned

This might sound like a ridiculous title but it’s true. In my old hometown Vienna, Austria, the city is suffering from a major heat wave that has lasted who knows how long (I don’t keep track) and as a result, the mayor has declared that no one in the city is allowed to grill outdoors. There is no fire making of any kind allowed. It sounds funny to us, or at least to me, but I’m sure the Viennese aren’t chuckling. I remember living in Brooklyn and just melting in my apartment that did not have an A/C unit and was just a couple degrees cooler than the 110 degrees it was outside. At that point, you don’t feel like cooking anything. You don’t want to turn on the stove, the grill or heaven forbid, the oven. You don’t want to blow dry your hair, take a warm shower or even drink coffee. Which I don’t drink anyways. I remember I lasted on nothing but gelato and cold fruit that month. It really lasted the entire month of July. My husband was out of town, I was working from home, cooking zilch, drinking an obscene amount of water and running around in practically my bathing suit. I have not consumed that much watermelon since and have not lost weight that quickly again. Some would call it a blessing in disguise but I just remember being miserable.
If you find yourself fighting the heat, drink water, stay out of the kitchen and munch of some fresh fruit and cold salads. You’ll feel so much better, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment