Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fishing for Sand Bass

My husband went deep-sea fishing today, much to his delight and my sadness. Sadness that I could not go with him unfortunately, due to my very unpleasant sea sickness. When he got back, he assured me that I would have been more than miserable as the waves caused the boat to bob back and forth incessantly. He has a strong constitution and he still felt wobbly once he was on dry land.
But he made it and brought home some sand bass, if I remember him saying correctly. Maybe he meant sea bass? I will have to check with him again since I have never heard of sand bass and am too lazy to research it right now. The fish was prepped on a rocky boat in a sloppy way by the people steering and handling the boat, but since they did most of the dirty work, I won't complain about the uneven cuts and still slightly scaly skin. Oh well.
So lo and behold, we have enough of this mysterious sand bass (that I still believe is a sea bass given its color and similarity in name) to last us at least a month. I froze most of it in small portions so I can defrost it without having to cook the entire batch and attempted to cook the first portion tonight. I marinaded it in a sauce akin to teriyaki sauce and decided to bake it. I have baked fish plenty of times before, I know what I'm doing, but due to the even portions of the darn fish, it was of course cooking unevenly. I would check the thickest part of the meat and it was still quite underdone. I left it for a few extra minutes and we ended up with sand bass jerky. My husband was so exhausted from the day's adventure that he woke up from his nap, ate the plateful of sand bass jerky with brown rice I shoved in his hand and promptly went back to sleep. He barely acknowledged my complaints about the dry fish. Although the marinade at least made it taste good.
So that was the day's exciting conclusion with fish so overcooked that I wouldn't even serve it to my mother's dog, my hands reeking of sand bass and my husband snoring contently away.

No comments:

Post a Comment