Friday, February 25, 2011

Chocolates

Chocolates used to be a staple food group of mine, but with age, tastes and tolerations change. I still enjoy chocolate every now and then but not to the degree that I used to. Back in the day, my favorite was white chocolate, which is not really chocolate at all due to its makeup. Then I progressed into milk chocolate thanks to the plethora available in Austria. You know how Switzerland is known for its chocolate? Well, Germany and Austria are in the same vicinity, so they all kind of rub off on each other. I indulged in the Milka, Kinder, Manner, Ferrero, and Rittersport brands. Plain, nutty, creamy – you name it. Particularly as a kid I got a kick out of the Kinder Ueberraschung, which are hollow chocolate eggs filled with a surprise. The surprise always consists of a small plastic toy that has to be assembled. Go figure, the Germans always thinking how to feed and create smart minds.
Coming to America was a big shock in terms of chocolate. The most popular chocolate here is Hershey's, which is not something I eat unless it involves graham crackers and marshmallows. I’m honestly surprised that the big Euro brands haven’t jumped across the ocean and made it big here. I guess everyone is used to their own flavors. Here dark chocolate seems to be very popular, especially in these health-conscious times. Tried it a few times and it’s just not my thing. I need the milk added to it.
So since I only occasionally find my beloved German chocolate at a local imports store or online, I don’t eat much of it. Even chocolate cakes are too rich for me. Take a bite and you hit sugar overload. That doesn’t bother me too much though because I’m discovering different dessert flavors that are equally delicious.
Naturally I want to share my chocolate knowledge with fellow foodies, so if you are feeling adventurous and travel to Central Europe, give these chocolates and/or brands a try.



















2 comments:

  1. did you get the stuff in NY too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a couple of things. haven't found a big selection yet.

    ReplyDelete