Monday, February 7, 2011

Sweet Cravings

Before I get into my spiel today, wanna follow up on the soup I made last night. So I didn't add enough water to actually turn it into a soup but let's say I had a homey and hearty vegetable stew. Due to the lack of my overzelaous spicing, the sweet flavors of the carrots and parsnip came through and it was perfect for a cold NY night. And for a lazy lunch today.
The thing I want to discuss today though is dessert. As most of you know, I love to bake and eat dessert. Living in this tiny apartment with a minuscule kitchen has been driving me bananas since I can only cook for about a person and a half. I've been here a week and I haven't baked. I'm getting antsy. I went to Whole Foods and bought a delicious-sounding orange, cranberry poundcake that was deceivingly moist-looking. Alas, it turned out to be the driest piece of pouncake ever. Needless to say, we didn't eat it. The next day, went back to Whole Foods and gave it another try. Bought an individual-sized Tres Leches cake and because I couldn't help myself (my blood sugar must have been dangerously low at that point), I also got an entire blood orange mousse cake. It looked fantastic and almost too pretty to eat. Got home and attacked that sucker only to be disappointed again. At least the Tres Leches cake was good, but I gotta say, for being a gourmet store and charging an arm and a leg, they are sorely lacking in baking skills. Make it taste better Whole Foods and stop focusing so much on looks! Of course, their concern is, we eat with our eyes first...
So I am in search of a darn good dessert in my neighborhood as my sugar withdrawals are turning me into a big grumpy bear. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. you know that you can find the best desserts in any European bakery...just "explore" your neighborhood.
    I can't believe you are in NY, good job!

    ReplyDelete