Sunday, February 20, 2011

Farmers Markets

Is there a greater place to shop for food than the farmers market? I don’t think so. My love of the market probably stems back to my childhood when I would accompany my family to the market in Romania. I’ve enjoyed the experience ever since.
I make it a point to check out the farmers market in every city I visit, if possible. Now I live in NY and thankfully there are several markets to choose from throughout the week. The biggest one I’ve been to so far is the Union Square Green Market. Excellent options, plenty of vendors and many new varieties of produce I can experiment with. Unfortunately the weather hasn’t been so great since moving here so that particular market has dwindled down to less vendors. Hoping that changes once it warms up more.
The markets I’m familiar with are those in San Diego since that was my hometown. SD actually has a pretty good selection of markets and the city has wonderful weather and spectacular views going for it as well. Can’t hurt to munch on samples as you enjoy a view of the ocean, right? I was lucky enough to work with a buddy at the market while I was still in high school. I worked on Saturdays and Sundays selling apples, nuts and dried fruit. I inevitably stuffed myself with too much dried fruit every time to the agony of my poor stomach. That was the best summer job I ever had.
My latest market tradition was sharing fresh oysters and coconut juice with my mother. That was a short-lived tradition every Saturday morning for us until I moved. Now I’m hoping she is enjoying those treats for me too.
I haven’t found either of those items at the markets here in NY but I’m still hopeful. Nothing like a creamy, sweet oyster to get your day started and coconut juice to wash it down. Mmm…

1 comment:

  1. No worries, I am enjoying the market here every Saturday; yesterday was a beautiful day and I went and got some fruits and vegetables...you'll be proud of me.

    ReplyDelete