Thursday, February 17, 2011

Global McDonald’s

We're moving into our new apartment this week and surprise, surprise, there is a McDonald’s down the street from us. As much as I like to eat healthy and buy organic whatever, I love me a good old-fashioned McDonald’s cheeseburger. I don’t eat there often unless I’m in need of fast comfort food (if I’m sick and can’t cook) or if I need something to hold me over while I’m running errands. So I think I’ve ordered the same thing at McDonald’s for the last decade – a cheeseburger, a chicken sandwich and small fries. Yes, that’s two sandwiches and I finish them both no problem.
It never crossed my mind that I might not be able to order the same thing at a McDonald’s in a different country. I think the first time I noticed a different McDonald’s menu was in Austria three years ago. I was visiting my uncle in the mountainous countryside (think Sound of Music style) and the whole family indulged in McDonald’s one single night during our visit. I pulled up to the counter to order my usual, but low and behold, they didn’t have my usual. I looked at the menu and saw some similar things as in the US but they also had things such as a Hollywood burger and a Texas burger. I was stunned. It never occurred to me that people across the world might be eating different McDonald’s food. So after that, whenever I visit a new country, I make it a point to stop at a local McDonald’s and check out their menu. So far, I’ve seen menus from Austria, France (Paris and DisneyWorld), Germany, Romania and Amsterdam. If possible, I try to take pictures of the menus for future reference (not sure why I would reference those photos but what the heck, guess they’re coming in handy now). So here are a few photos I took during my travels. Feel free to share your own Mickey D photos.


New York Classic on left, Big Texas Bacon on right





1 comment:

  1. i have to go back to austria to try the texas burger! haha.
    we have the 1955 burger in germany right now...

    ReplyDelete