Monday, February 28, 2011

Bulgogi Speedy Gonzales-Style

In case you have no idea what Bulgogi is, it’s deliciously marinated Korean beef that’s grilled or barbequed. I have never had the real thing (Korea), however the closest thing I come to is making it at home. Although I like to experiment a lot, sometimes it’s easier to just buy the darn thing already marinated and ready to go. As usual, Trader Joes has Bulgogi wrapped up for you in the refrigerated section. It’s right next to the other marinated meets (Hawaiian short ribs, curry chicken, etc.).
When you get it home, pat it dry and throw it on the grill or in a skillet. Bam, another dish that’s done in under 5 minutes, depending on the side of course. I usually make a salad to go along with this but the picture below shows steamed broccoli. Whatever, it all works.

Serves 2

6 strips of bulgogi meat
2 teaspoons of olive oil
2 cups of broccoli florets
2 teaspoons of salt


Steam the broccoli until fork-tender (about 5-10 minutes depending on the stalk thickness). Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add half of the bulgogi strips to the skillet and sauté for 1 minute per side. The strips are very thin so the meat cooks instantly. Remove the first batch of meat and set aside (cover with aluminum foil to keep warm). Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the second batch of meat. Cook the same way. Serve the meat alongside the broccoli or if you made a salad (or other side), serve that instead. The meat is filling so I wouldn’t serve it with anything starchy. Keep it light with veggies or leafy greens.



1 comment:

  1. Looks great, I don't hink I ever had it before. Now I'll know to get it when I'll go to Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete