Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Food Trends

Read an article yesterday (2011 Food Trends on Cookingchanneltv.com) that listed food trends for the year. I can’t remember everything they listed but one thing that jumped out was people’s inclination to make everything at home nowadays. I’m talking canning, pickling, brewing, etc.. Coincidentally my obsession a couple of years ago was perfecting canning. Learned how to make home-made jam and I successfully didn’t poison anyone who received the jam as a gift. But that was my own inclination to master yet another cooking technique. The trends article mentioned reverting back to the good old days out of necessity. Of course the economy sucks and we’re all strapped for cash, thus people are turning to what the article calls “home artisanship.” So I guess I was part of the first wave of this DIY cooking a couple of years ago when pickling and canning were popular. This year (new recession cooking wave), people are doing more elaborate things such as curing their own meats, brewing their own beer and roasting their own coffee. Come to think of it, before moving out here, I met a lady who said her husband was brewing his own beer at home. Much to her annoyance, their kitchen looked like a science lab. I actually am quite excited to hear this because I’m always talking my husband’s ear off about lost craftsman and artisanship. Not sure that I’ll turn to curing my own meat although I would very much like my house to smell like prosciutto. I have given thought to making my own yogurt or ricotta cheese though, which I saw on TV.
If any of you decide to create a new flavor of beer, coffee, meat or anything else, let me know. I might be your guinea pig.

2 comments:

  1. You know, you can ask Buni for any recipes too; she'll be very happy to give you advices on how to prepare everything for winter. She made her own jams, vegetable pastes, tomato paste, etc. all her life.

    ReplyDelete