Monday, February 14, 2011

Need A Bigger Kitchen!

I mentioned before that the temporary place we are staying in since moving to NY is tiny. The kitchen is about a fourth the size of our last kitchen. There is no counter space, no spatula or wooden spoon and only one dull steak knife for chopping anything that I could practically tear apart with my hands. I considered buying cooking utensils but we are moving in a week to a bigger place and are having our old stuff shipped from San Diego, so it would be pointless to buy anything now.
Due to my lack of tools and fear of using the archaic oven, I have been preparing most of the main meals the same way, on the stove or in the sauté pan. At this point, it all blends into the same formula – soup, stew or sautéed meat and veggies. I love winter fare but need to be able to mix it up a bit. Can’t continue to make the same darn chicken stew forever, no matter how good it is. I’m drooling at the thought of a casserole, shepherd’s pie or baked fruit. Mm, cobblers and crumbles…. I saw Nigella Lawson make caramel croissant pudding on TV the other day. That shall be the first thing I make with my new stove. It looked fluffy, custardy and freakin’ out of this world rich. Ok, can you tell how desperate I am now? I better go get a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment