Monday, August 26, 2013

Leberkaese

This is a German word for, well, the translation sounds a bit stupid. Literally translated, it means liver and cheese. But what it actually is, is a sort of meatloaf not in the traditional sense that comes from Austria and is usually sandwiched in a Kaiser roll and always served with mustard. It’s a must. I have been toying with the idea of trying to make this damn meatloaf but it is complicated and requires about three different types of meat. I have the recipe in one of my German cookbooks and have yet to gather the time and courage to attempt it. Since my family has been visiting, my fingers have been itching to try it, given that they have been making food from that region. Maybe I’ll brave it and give it a go in the next couple of weeks, when I have spare time for failed kitchen experiments. In the meantime, here’s what it’s supposed to look like.


Traditional Leberkaese
 
 
Served with the usual roll and mustard - salads typically not included

 
 
If you are real lucky and buy it in Austria, you might find the version with actual cheese pieces embedded in it, which melts when warmed - heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment