Friday, August 30, 2013

Wafers

I have been obsessed with wafers since I was little. They are not to be confused with waffles, which I didn’t try until I was in the US. Totally different things.
Wafers are thin sheets of…well, wafers, that are packed tightly together and held in place by all sorts of goodness, such as chocolate, hazelnut spreads, fruity cream fillings and whatever else the marketing and development people think of.
My favorite has to be Knoppers, which is the product name of a little square morsel that I indulge in once in a blue moon when I can find it for sale at the German imports store or when my family brings some during visits. There is also Manner, which is the brand name of a wafer company stemming from my favorite place, Vienna, of course. Their hazelnut flavored wafers are the traditional and most popular, but I also like the lemon and a new favorite, the apricot wafers. How in heaven’s name they were able to create that magic is beyond me. Delicious!
Other brands also produce wafer products, most notably covered in chocolate, which is what most people like, I’m assuming. Most people do enjoy chocolate…. I’ll eat them any way they come my way. I don’t discriminate. All wafers are good wafers.


Yes, it's the best - not too sweet and hits the spot between meals

The new magical flavor, although apricot is good for anything
 
 
 
Chocolate and hazelnut, always a deadly combination



It's the plain old wafer, before it was reinvented

No comments:

Post a Comment