Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sausage Rolls

I've been watching a British show called The Inbetweeners, which I highly recommend, but that is besides the point. One of the characters was wolfing down sausage rolls at a high school party, which reminded me of the same ones I devoured after a shopping spree at the Shakespeare Corner Shop (SCS) in San Diego. It is located right next to the aptly named Shakespeare Pub & Grill, which by the way serves awesome shepherd's pie, which is also besides the point. Goodness, I'm getting sidetracked today.
So these darn sausage rolls are akin to pigs in a blanket, except there are no Vienna sausages wrapped up, you know the kind that come in a dingy little can. This is good old real mashed up sausage, baked in puff pastry. I had them fresh out the oven at the SCS and I should have probably assumed that eating half a dozen was enough, but no, I finished the whole damn bag of dozens of salty, oily rolls. I regretted it, for about an hour. After my stomach settled, I dreamily remembered the savory flavor of puffy goodness and salty pork. Or at least I'm assuming it's pork. I know it wasn't chicken. And am pretty sure it wasn't beef. The sensible thing would be to look up recipes on the damn internet and be done with the guessing, but I'd rather go on with my uncertainty.
Pigs in a blanket are easy to make, so I'm assuming these British sausage rolls will also be a cinch. Eventually I'll have to look up the said recipe I guess, just to make sure I don't veer South and create some Mediterranean morsel instead. No doubt I'd feel inclined to sprinkle in some oregano or something like that just for the hell of it.
Since they are small bites, party food really, or an afternoon snack, or hell, even a midnight snack, I wouldn't go through the trouble of thinking of something to serve alongside them. Why ruin a perfectly good thing? To get your imagination and mouth watering, here are pictures of decent looking ones that will put my creations to shame, I'm sure.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment